Saturday 11 July 2015

Percy Jackson and the Olympians (review)

Warning: This post might contain some spoilers for the Percy Jackson and the Olympians book series. So be warned!

Omg, the first book review on this blog is happening! And I'm kinda excited! If you would rather read this in Dutch, I recommend you to go to www.booksandparchment.blogspot.com. This is another blog I am the owner of, together with my niece! That blog is in Dutch and only about books. All book reviews I post in English will be posted in Dutch on that blog! 

Anywho, let's do this thing!

A while ago I wanted to buy the Percy Jackson and the Olympians box. Because the box was on sale and I figured I might like the books. I didn't know for sure I would like books so buying the whole box on 1 go was kind of a big risk! I mean, if I didn't like them I would have to sell it again. But since I am a big fan of magical/mythical/historical things I decided to but them anyway. And I haven't regret buying it for a single second!!


I loved reading the books! They are very well written and I've managed to actually finish the series one after another (normally I read one or two in a serie and than switch to something else). What I didn't like so much was that it was so much of the same thing over and over. Being; Titan is bad and rising and should be destroyed before he destroys Olympus, and everytime they are doing well with this new monsters come up. 
I thought this was just a bit boring every now and than. But overall a good book series! 
Percy's very well written, although I think it would be better if he had a bit more of a love story (I mean, he is a teenager...). Not a 50 Shades lovestory but just a bit of a more interesting one rather than getting the girl in last part of the last book. But besides that the characterdevelopment is fantastic! 
Grover never failed to make me laugh! Because he is a Satyr he just everything when he is nervous and honestly this made for funny moments!
Annabeth was one of those characters that I didn't like in the beginning. But the more I read, the more likeable she became for me. 
What I really loved was the way Riordan described the Gods in their human forms. I never before thought about what a god would look like in his human form. So him describing this so well really helped me form a great image. 
And of course there's Chiron. I've loved Chiron from the beginning of the first book and only became more attached to him!

I definitely recommend this book series!
Next year I will be doing my internship in 7th grade (which in the Netherlands means the kids are about 10 years old. Don't know if that's the same as in other countries) and I believe these book are readable for kids from that age on. Hopefully I can get some of them to start reading these books!

As always, thanks for reading!
Love,
Demi

No comments:

Post a Comment